Just another (occasional) brain dump on technology and the technology industry...

About Me

My photo
I enjoy wine, laptops, walks, bicycling with the kids and long drives. I am constanly reading. In my heart I am a teacher a salesman and a technologist.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Sun MySQL. Wow!

Half way through January I heard the news that Sun was buying MySQL. I thought is was great news then. I think it is even better news now!

I do a lot of work in the JEE space. Big Blue is pervasive. I have to put up with their technology. It is trash mostly, but sometimes they have a real gem or two in their product stack, like DB2 and MQ. AIX is ok, like it is ok to have any old car instead of walking everywhere. WebSphere is a nasty piece of work.

I really like BEA's product stack. I think that it is excellent in almost all cases. Oracle is the worlds most deployed database and for what reason I do not know. I wonder how that is going to pan out?

I started playing with the Sun Application server 9.0 a while back. I immediately loved it. I still do. In my opinion it is the best AS out there. 9.1 is even better! I also have high regard for MySQL. It looks as if Jonathan Schwartz is doing great things with Sun, I have a good feeling that he will do awesome things with MySQL.

Happy coding...

No comments: